Friday, October 23, 2015

its friday and i like things/2

wearing-


basically just comfy things that fit right now? exciting.


my new clogs! i got these in burgundy for my birthday and i'm so into them. greg is less than enthused so far. i will make him a believer. when we met he didn't like high heels or lipstick.. so...


beauty stuff-


a lot of bright lipstick lately- it's generally a pick me up for me, and these days... it's needed. also- i don't need to do anything else to my face if i'm wearing it. which, if the morning does not go as planned (aka ALL OF THE TIME), is helpful.


short hair. yay. i'm loving it. trying all the different barrel sizes of curling iron on it, one at a time. its been two weeks and i already feel like it's growing out! Ah!


cooking-

made my first roast of the season yesterday. best feeling to come home to that SMELL after playing at the park.


babkas! technically baking, but still. i went off recipe and did a dark chocolate and pumpkin one recently and it went over pretty well. i loosely follow this recipe.



making-

i am coming to terms with the fact that even if i never make anything "good" or "noteworthy" or "resplendent" (lol) in my life, i still need to make things, relatively consistently. to be a good and happy and energized person. this week, eliza and i have been doing a lot of painting, whenever lucy's sleeping and we have a free moment, she breaks out the water colors and i break out the acrylics. the freedom to just ploodle around for whatever 20 minute chunk of time we have is so nice.


also- back to quilting. making a receiving blanket for my baby birthday twin, evie. blocked out two birthday presents for some of my favorite little boys. my needle broke in the middle of the quilt i'm currently doing and for some reason i'm having the HARDEST time getting motivation to fix it. i am not a mechanic. i'm having like a mental block so i'm literally just hand quilting instead, when it would be 10,000x faster if i just took fifteen minutes after the girls went to bed and fixed the machine. get your act together, holzer.




reading/ watching-


in the same vein as making- i need to be reading. i've realized that my consumption of movies and tv is largely in the hopes of conversing with someone about it, even if it is eventually. i do not have an introverted bone in my body, really. so if greg's working late, and we're not watching something together (aka- i don't have anyone to talk to about what i'm watching) i actually cannot finish anything. nothing is that interesting to me. what a weirdo.


ANYWAY. greg and i are going through old seasons of survivor that they have on amazon prime. highly recommend if you are an aspiring social psychologist and obsessed with production and editing. aka me.


other side of that coin that i am also fascinated with - america's next top model. it's like cartoon sociology. the personality types that are drawn to the competition are caricatures, and it's fascinating to watch them interact, compete, and to watch how production creates story line. another one i cant watch without someone to talk to about it. ha.


reading Hannah Coulter by Wendell Berry for my fiction fix. how does wendell berry craft such beautiful, meaningful prose? how does the man make you feel so deeply, both pain and beauty, and make you feel grateful for the life you have? idk but i love him.  this is not just fiction for the story line, this is immersive. you don't want to get to "what happens next". you are in it, feeling and loving and praying and... ugh. i just love it. i could write more intelligently about this but liza's waking up from nap and i'm hoping she doesn't remove her dirty diaper and fling it around so i'm doing my best here.



just finished Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert. a little bit woo-woo, if you know what i mean, but there was a lot of wisdom in it, and a lot of encouragement. it was SO light and yet somehow felt important to read. it was well timed, for me. what especially hit home for me was her description of her parents, and how their commitment to making their own lives with intention gave her the format and also the permission to live creatively herself. cool stuff.


big magic talked a lot about creativity and inspiration having a desire to work through humans, and it reminded me a lot of subsidiary focal integration, which I heard about during a conference at Cairn from Esther Lightcap Meeks. I immediately remembered I had wanted to read her book after her presentation and then promptly forgot about it. (lulu was about to make her arrival.) hopped on amazon and bought it, and am starting it now. will keep the two of you who read this blog updated. ; )



grabbing the psalms anytime i have a free minute in the morning. after eliza, psalm 3 really resonated with me, and again, i find myself praying it over and over after sleepless (or less than ideal sleep) nights. (I lie down and sleep; I awake, because the Lord sustains me. 3:5)





2 comments:

  1. I love this. Thanks for sharing so honestly about what life looks like these days. I love your "mess." Also, I'm seriously considering short hair too. Finding what refreshes your soul is a challenge in each new season, since all the variables change. Cheering you on, brave lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And apparently I don't know how to put MY NAME in my comments to you. HA! Unknown = Alison. :)

      Delete